Here are several commonly asked questions.  If you have a question or concern not addressed here, please feel free to Contact Us.

Criminal Law Questions

Yes. If you are under investigation or charged for with an offense, it is urgent that you speak with legal counsel specializing in criminal law.  An experienced criminal lawyer knows how to properly defend your rights, your reputation, and your freedom in court.  At the Wohr Law Office, not only do we give our clients  exceptional representation, but we also look at strategies to eliminate the  negative impacts that a criminal conviction could have on the rest of your life.

You should be read your constitutional rights, otherwise known as the Miranda Rights, after an arrest.  These rights include the right to remain silent, the right to an attorney and the right to trial.  Officers are allowed to lie to you, in order to get you to say something incriminating, so it is imperative that you know your rights.  Our firm wants to ensure that your rights are protected.

After an arrest, the first thing you need to know is that you have rights.  We encourage you to exercise your rights – remain silent,  and contact an attorney as soon as you can.  A legal  representative can make all the difference in the outcome of your case. 

If your case goes to trial, and you are working with Wohr Law, you can be confident that our attorneys will aggressively defend you and protect your rights. We are not afraid to use a strong and aggressive defense on your behalf and we will use our extensive experience in court to your advantage.

Each rate depends on the complexity of the case. Our fees are flexible and reasonable, considering the amount of experience our attorneys have. 

Clients like guarantees; however, no one can guarantee a particular result.  The preferred outcome is to have the charges against you dropped, but there are other ways of obtaining positive results.  Our level of experience allows us to foresee how a case may be resolved and what strategies to use to obtain a favorable outcome.

Family Law Questions

You are not required to have a divorce attorney to file for divorce. However, it is advisable to hire one if there are issues involving property, finances or children.  Even with an uncontested divorce, disagreements usually occur when dealing with issues, such as: child custody, property, possessions, taxes, and income divisions. Having a lawyer on your side is the best way to protect your interests and make sure you are informed about the consequences and details of every decision.

Texas law requires that a couple wait 60 days after the divorce petition is filed to finalize the divorce.

When a couple is in agreement on all the terms, the final decree of divorce can be prepared and signed by both parties during the 60 day period and can be entered by the court on the 61st day. The divorce is final once the judge declares it in court and signs the decree.

When the parties are not in agreement, the average time to finalize a contested divorce is between 6 months to one year.

Texas is a “community property” state, meaning any property or assets acquired during marriage are shared between the couple. Each party divides these assets equally during the divorce settlement. Any property that you or your spouse owned individually before the marriage is “separate property” and will not be divided during the divorce.

Annulment is a legal process in which the court determines the parties were never legally married to start with. This makes the marriage null and void. Annulments are rare, however, grounds for doing so include:

  • One party is incapable of consent to the marriage
  • Mental incapacity
  • One or both parties could not consent due to intoxication
  • Deception about some aspect of the marriage
  • Failure to consummate the marriage

Child support is paid by the non-custodial parent, to the parent who is awarded custody of the child.